Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cliché

I have been around the discussion of "Digital Immigrants vs. Digital Natives" for a couple of years now and I have to say I'm not a fan of the term. Maybe I feel this way because I'm not a 'Native' in the terms which Marc Prensky states in his article  because I myself just turned 45. I didn't have video games in my child hood, heck, I didn't even have cable until I was living on my own 'cause it didn't exist when I lived at home. Yet, of the ninteen people in my Ed Tech class, I am the one who is looked at for technology assistance. I am the one who has been integrating technology into classrooms for the past six years. I am also the one with an online community/network in Plurk (like Twitter) which connects me to over 250 educators around the globe who are also integrating technology into classrooms either as teachers, administrators or students themselves.
I agree that perople sho understand technology look at the world and education with a different mindset, a different view then people who don't understand or are afraid of technology do. I'm not so certain it is because we have been or have not been brought up within a digital world which makes us different. I thinkit is how we approach technology and how open we are to change in general which makes us different.
I  highly reccommend the book (and website) Brain Rules by John Medina. In 12 chapters it speaks about how the brain responds to how we live, sleep, move, work, etc. Specifically, chapter 4 which focuses on Attention. He states, and I quote, "The brain is not capable of multi-tasking. We can talk and breathe, but when it comes to higher level tasks, we just can’t do it." Supposedly, multi-tasking is what Digital Natives are wired to be able to do. Hmmm...
Read, then get back to me and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment